Humus Pitta Bowl
Posted by : Pragya Bansal
- Chickpeas ½ cup heaped dried White Chickpeas, 120 grams soaked in enough Water for 8 to 9 hours or overnight
- 1.5 cups Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 pinch Baking Soda
- 3 tsp White Sesame Seeds roasted
- 4 tsp extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp chopped Garlic or 4 to 5 small to medium Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 to 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt as required
- extra virgin olive oil, as required
- red chili powder – as required
- black pepper powder, as required – optional
- a few sprigs of parsley or coriander leaves
For Pressure Cooking:-
Method / Process
- Cooking Dried Chickpeas.
- Rinse ½ heaped cup dried Chickpeas (120 grams) in Water first and then soak in enough Water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
- Next day, rinse the Chickpeas in Water first a couple of times. Drain all the Water and add the Chickpeas in a 2 litre stovetop pressure cooker.
- Add ½ tsp Salt, 1 pinch of Baking Soda and 1.5 cups Water.
- Pressure Cook on medium heat for 11 to 12 minutes.
- When the pressure settles down on its own in the cooker, remove the lid and check the Chickpeas.
- Remove wrapping of Chickpeas.
- Roasting Sesame Seeds:-
- Heat a small pan. Keep heat to a low. Add 3 tsp White Sesame seeds. On a low heat stirring often roast Sesame Seeds.
- Roast till they become crisp and start crackling. No need to brown them. Let them cool down.
- Making Hummus.
- In a mixer-grinder-blender take the roasted Sesame Seeds. Powder it to fine or semi-fine texture.
- Add 1 tsp chopped Garlic, 1 to 2 tsp Lemon Juice, 4 tsp extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tsp Cumin Powder and Salt as per taste.
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice works fine for us. To increase the tang more, you can add overall 2 tsp Lemon Juice. So add as per your taste.
- Add Salt as per taste.
- Grind or blend till smooth and light. If you are unable to grind, then add 2 to 3 tsp Water.
- Serving Hummus:-
- Hummus is ready now and all you need is to scrape the jar and place it in a serving bowl or bowls. Make a round pattern with a spoon on the hummus.
- Drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle Paprika or Red Chilli Powder or Black Pepper Powder or any of your favourite spice Powder. You can also sprinkle Zatar. Garnish with a few chopped Coriander Leaves or parsley leaves.