Matar Makhana Sbji
Posted by : Pragya Bansal
- 1 cup Makhana
- 1 cup Green Peas – fresh or frozen
- 1 medium Onion – grated or finely chopped,
- 2 medium sized Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder variety of Red Chili Powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Malai ya Cream
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Ghee for sauteing the Makhana
- 2 tsp Ghee for the gravy or curry
- ½ to 1 tsp chopped Coriander Leaves
- Salt as required
Method / Process
- Heat 1 tsp Ghee in a pan or kadai. Keep the heat to low to medium-low. Add Makhana/Lotus seeds and saute till crisp and the color changes to light golden. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of Ghee again in the same pan. Then add finely chopped Onions. Saute the Onions stirring often till light golden
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste. Saute for few seconds or till their raw aroma goes away. If adding Ginger Garlic Paste, then add the Tomato puree.
- Stir and sprinkle the Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, and Garam Masala Powder.
- Stir and saute till the fat Leaves the sides of the mixture.
- Then add Water. Stir and allow the Curry, till it reaches the desired consistency which is neither thick nor thin.
- Add the steamed or cooked Peas/Matar and the roasted Makhana.
- Stir and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes on a low heat.
- When you see some fat floating on top, then add Cream/Malai. Stir again and switch off the heat.
- Garnish with Coriander Leaves.
- Server Matar Makhana Curry hot or warm with Roti or Naan or Kulcha or Paratha or steamed Basmati Rice or Jeera Rice.